Friday, March 26, 2010

Funiculus and Ipsilateral...Just a few of my favorite words

Another week has flown by, and there are just 5 weeks left of the semester. No complaints here for how fast it's going by. I'm ready for summer break and by summer break I mean the month of May. This will be my last somewhat of a summer off before I grow up and get a big girl job. Haha. That is unless I work in schools, which I'm not thinking I will.

The peak of the week (aka hump day aka Wednesday) included a Speech Science test, which equals no buono. And what did I do on it that I always have a tendency to do--changed 3 answers I had correct to wrong ones. This is why I should not go over my test after I finish! At least it's over with, but this means I need to do well on the final. I probably should start studying now! Or well really after my neuro test on Monday. My two hardest classes always have the tests less than a week from each other.

The night before the everdreaded Speech Science. I woke up a little after 4 am, and my brain was just thinking stop plosive--1) stop gap: oropharynx closed + velopharyngeal port closed + glottis open; high tracheal and oropharyngeal pressures; no flow 2) plosive: oropharynx open; pressures=0; transient turbulent flow 3) aspiration: glottis partially abducted; low tracheal pressure; sustained turbulent flow. The same was happening for frication, vowels, and nasals. [side note:Just so you know if you were trying to say Mom but didn't open your velopharyngeal port you would actually say Bob.] I just kept telling my brain to stop, and eventually it did and let me fall back to sleep for a little bit before 6:07 am rolled around.

Last night I began looking over neuro. The first step was getting out my stack of powerpoints and checking with my roommate that I wasn't missing any. This is a step because I do not have binders. Haha. I, however, was not missing anything he handed out in class. There were a few powerpoints he put on the computers that I had to print this morning. The next step was to start typing out information on the powerpoints.

That step isn't very exciting. Well I suppose none of the steps to studying are exciting... At least I came across the word ipsilateral--one of my favorite words. Try saying it 10 times fast. Haha. Same with funiculus. Oh and I prefer semilunar ganglion over calling it trigeminal ganglion. I've gotta find some amusement in the words for neuro, or I don't know how I'd make it through.

Speaking of which...I better get started on neuro for the day...

Oh I forgot to mention my favorite activities I planned for therapy this week. My older ones (kindergardners) made video cameras using posterboard, cheezit/vanilla wafer/sandwich bag boxes, and construction paper. Then they "filmed" each other making the "news" holding microphones. They LOVED it! I just love coming up with creative activities for them.

Ok, protopathic and epicritic somasthesia pathways here I come...

No comments:

Post a Comment