Tuesday, April 6, 2010

"I just broke FERPA..."

Another week and a half has flown by, and here we are already in April.

That everdreaded speech test I was talking about took me on a hot air balloon ride. My professor handed back our grades on the test on little slips of paper with the points you made on the test and the total points you have in the class. The grade next to my name on the test was 10 percentage points higher than I had expected for the test, which is only like 3 more points considering the test is only out of 30 points. This is when I stepped unexpectedly onto a hot air balloon. I was elated! I thought Sweet. I had left the 3 answers that I kept changing the answers with the correct ones. Later that night I was talking on Facebook chat to a girl in my class with the same last name as me. She told me the grade she got on the test was 10 percentage points less than what she had thought she had made. I didn't think anything of this at first because I was too busy looking at the lineup for Memphis in May. The next morning I was driving to therapy and for whatever reason was thinking about the test and our grades. That's when I reached the halfway point of my hot air balloon ride. I thought He must have mixed up our grades because we have the same last name. When I got home from lunch after therapy, I sent him an email explaining this and that he may need to check our grades. He responded immediately saying he hoped he hadn't made such a mistake but wouldn't be in his clinic until the following day to check. Wednesday rolls around, and he has my classmate and me come into his office before class. That's when the hot air balloon for sure landed. He started off by telling us he broke FERPA. Some act about not showing other people students' grades. We told him we really didn't care that we obviously shared our grades with each other. Otherwise, we would never have known about this. Then, he turned to me and said Typically, I only have students tell me they thought they did better on a test and not worse. I tell him I couldn't take a grade that wasn't mine.

My overall grade for the class is now 5 percentage points less than what I had thought that Monday afternoon, but that's ok I know it's the grade I earned, and I can still pull it up with the final!

Time to get back to speech sciencing...
Yay for homework about spectrograms...

No comments:

Post a Comment