Friday, April 30, 2010

Figaro, figaro, figaro...tomorrow


The speech science final is the only thing I was able to cross off of my list on my mirror. Yes, I write my to do list on my bathroom mirror. Oh and it's written in phonetics. I am that cool! The reason why I could cross any of my clinic work (i.e.,SOAP notes, summary reports, treatment plan) off was because the server for the clinic was down until 7:30 pm. I had planned on staying to work on it all day, which obviously couldn't happen without the server working. It went down Wednesday morning. For 3 days, we could do absolutely nothing with our client information. No bueno! Now I'll have to go in the morning, which wouldn't be so bad except for the little fact that I have a neuro final Monday that I haven't even begun to study for. Ooops!

So the speech science final was ehhhh, I don't really want to talk about it. I will say we had to read spectrograms on the test, which let me tell you is no easy task. The second word I had t (blank) (blank) a r o (long o). I couldn't tell for the life of me what the two blanks were. I knew the second was a vowel, and I thought the third could be a nasal but then decided against that because I didn't see the antiresonance and because it was narrow. So after much thought I just decided to make the word "figaro" so I changed the "t" to an "f" and just plugged in the next two phonemes, even though I didn't really think there was a stop ("g") in the third position. For some odd reason, the only word I could think of that ends in "aro" was "figaro". Who even thinks of that word? Needless to say, it wasn't "figaro" but instead was "tomorrow". Yes, a normal word.

Just so you know spoonfuls of chocolate chips and peanut butter chips make a good snack for "not even pretending to study" time.

2 comments: