Sunday, February 28, 2010

Resting Expiratory Level, Mechanical Tuning, Ahhhh All I Want to Do is Play WWF... Words With Friends

Technology is my greatest distraction. I could care less about having a TV but take away my iPhone and my laptop, and I probably wouldn't know what to do with myself. Maybe I would be more productive with my schoolwork, but then again I need my laptop for most of my schoolwork...

However, for the assignment in question--the ever dreaded speech science--I do not need my laptop. All I need is the good ole textbook and the worksheet. Nevertheless, I find myself sittin on the couch with my pink Sony Vaio in my lap, my iPhone in it's black and pink Otterbox protector within centimeters of my leg, my textbook next to me, and the worksheet on the book. I've been like this for a few hours and still haven't completed the homework.

Maybe it's because I keep checking Facebook, my email, and news websites. Or maybe it's because I keep checking all my Words With Friends games. Or maybe it's because I'm starting yet another photobook. Or maybe it's because I keep responding to texts. Or maybe it's because I'm writing this very blog. Do you see the trend here?

Two of my most prized possessions offer an abundance of distractions. Yet, I couldn't pass grad school without either one of them. I need my laptop to type lesson plans, study guides, do research, check emails, etc. I need my phone to get instant help from fellow classmates if I have a question, get in touch with supervisors, check important emails when not at a computer, etc. Obviously, I could just delete all of my distractions and just use these items for the above, but do I really want to do that? The answer is no. I feel these things are a type of outlet for me and keep me connected with others, but I can decrease the amount of time I spend doing all of these things...

No comments:

Post a Comment